I will admit I am very attracted to natural air fresheners. When they are reusable that really sends me to a happy place. I have scoured the pinterest boards for recipes and ideas. What I have found is simple and require limited supplies.
- Essential oils of your choosing
- 100% (or as close as you can get to it) Wool Felt. However much you need for your design. I suggest getting enough so that you have two layers of your design. That way the essential oils won’t go through as much. You can find at your local craft store that sells fabric on bolts. You do not want felt that is just in flat sheets in the regular craft aisle. Those are typically made from recycled plastic or other materials. You want wool because it holds the oil and is sturdy fabric.
- Fabric Glue
- Hole Punch
- Cricut- to cut your images with. My Cricut cuts everything.
- Freezer paper. I iron this onto the back of my felt so the little felt particles don’t get stuck to the Cricut mat. The shine side should be the side you iron to the fabric. There are tons of instructions with a simple google search for ironing with freezer paper. In general iron on the shine side to your fabric using a medium heat with iron.
- Sewing Machine or other sewing items. I say this because you can sew your pieces together instead of gluing.
Cut out your design. Glue it together. You don’t need much glue. I did it just around the edges of my felt M. Once glue is dry punch hole where you want to thread your string. Put your string through the hole and tie it so it can be hung. The add 10-20 drops of essential oil to the felt.
The oil dots will disappear as the felt absorbs the oil and also as the oils scent the air. When you notice that the smell is all gone you can freshen your felt by adding more essential oils.
I suggest if you are going to put this in a closet that you don’t put it right next to clothes. Some of the oils might rub up on your clothes creating a stain.
I added mine to my car.
My fav scents. Lemongrass, Ylang Ylang, Orange, and Peppermint.
What scents do you like?