In my house we loves pickles. I have for all the time I can remember loved anything with dill. We have a rule in our house for our friends. If you hang out at our house you can have free range on whatever is in our fridge and cabinets. Friends walk in and go straight for the fridge for these pickles. They are that good.
This recipe I made was adapted from a few different recipes I found online. I like when I can make things my own.
- 3 lbs pickling cucumbers
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs Sea Salt
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes ( split between the two jars)
- 2 tbs dill seed ( split between the two jars)
- 8 garlic cloves ( split between the two jars)
- two quart (32oz) size wide mouth mason jars. Make sure they have been washed.
- Wash and slice the cucumbers. You can choose to do spears or small sandwich slices (trim the top and bottoms, they are bitter). I prefer small slices as you can see in the picture.
- Add the water, vinegar and salt in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Mix it until the salt dissolves.
- Add 4 cloves of garlic, tablespoon of dill seed, 1 tsp of red pepper flakes to each jar.
- Pack in the sliced cucumbers and pour the brine on top. Make sure to keep a half inch space at the top.
- Put on the lid and let it sit for 48 hours in the fridge. I usually give them a few shakes while they are sitting so the ingredients move around the jar. I have no idea if this does anything. I am pretty sure it is just to help me not crack open the jar before the 48 hours is up.
I have used non pickling cucumbers because that is all I had. Works just fine as well. I get most of my cucumbers from farmers markets so the variety in size makes it easier to find cucumbers in the small pickling size. Don’t get stuck on having to get pickling cucumbers. I have also done this recipe with zucchini.
I love the pickles on sandwich with loads of other veggies. Great as a snack too.