I love tacos. Next to salads they are probably the easiest dish for me to use what I have. I had recently cooked a batch of sweet potato and chickpeas to be used in a number of recipes. I am going to throw some recipes down here for what I used to make these tacos since this was requested info from followers of my pictures on social media.
Chickpeas in Instant Pot
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 6 cups water
Seal instant pot. Cook manual 40 minutes. Natural release for 12.
In this recipe I used
Sweet Potato – you can also do the below with cauliflower
Preheat oven 425
Make about .5-1inch chucks of sweet potato. I typically like to make a batch of about 3 sweet potatoes to have on hand for the week. Depends on the size of the potato though. Place sweet potato chunks on a pan with silicone pad or parchment paper. They make parchment paper that is home compostable. On the pan drizzle whatever high temp approved cooking oil on the potatoes if you want. You can do water too. Enough where your seasoning will stick to it. Sprinkle adobo seasoning on your sweet potato chunks. I always start with 1 tablespoon and increase if needed. Mix it all around with your hands or a utensil. Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 30 mins.
Mashed Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Filling
- Lightly mash 1 cup chickpeas with lemon pepper or seasoning of choice and juice from 1 lime
- Mix in 1 cup of your cooked sweet potato chunks with the mashed chickpeas
Kale, Cabbage, Carrot Slaw- We always have greens, carrots and some form of cabbage in our house. Pretty much always eyeball this recipe for the quantity I need/want
- 3-4 stems of kale. Take the leafy greens off stem. Compost/discard the stems. Chop the kale leaves into thin slices. Place in a bowl.
- 1/2 carrot use peeler to make carrot shreds. Place in bowl with chopped kale.
- Slice about 1/3 cup cabbage into thin pieces. Place in bowl as well.
- Squeeze 1/2 or more depending on how much you need over the bowl with all the ingredients.
- Massage the lime into the mixture so you break up the kale. Kale should reduce in size and turn a brighter green.
- 2 avocados. Scoop out the insides and mashed with
- 1-1.5 limes this depends on your taste
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Teaspoon pepper. I used lemon pepper with the guac in the photo
Make sure you taste along the way to see if you need to add anymore of the seasonings
Salsa Verde- this is store bought. I drain the majority of the liquid from the jar because I am not a runny salsa fan. I place this on top of the slaw during assembly.
Sour Cream- I used some vegan sour cream we had left over from a gathering at our house. It doesn’t taste good without some seasoning love. I add onion powder based on taste to the cream. You can portion out whatever you want. Dill is also nice as well if using in a falafel wrap. Drizzle on top after assembly of all the other taco parts.