A few nights ago I made a nice batch of veggie chili. I am not a huge cooked veggie fan and I hate soup. So chili sometimes can be hit or miss. Of course when I make it for myself it is typically a hit because I can control what is in there.
I don’t normally think to make veggie chili, but it is nice to have something that stays well in the fridge for days I don’t want to cook. I saw a recipe posted on Dr. Garth’s facebook. If you have not heard of the doc, you should check him out. Pretty cool and very good at passing along info. Dr. Garth is a weight loss surgeon in Texas. And he wants our wellness to put him out of business. He is also plant based. So again tugs at my heart strings. I believe you can also find him on my fitness pal where he logs his meals. He has gone through his own personal wellness journey which makes him pretty darn relatable
I adapted the info he posted for chili recipe to what I had in my kitchen. Here is what is in the lovely goodness above.
I haven’t fully counted the servings this is going to make. As I eat it I have been paying attention. I believe just for me I may be able to get 5-6 out of this batch.
- 1.50 cup, Beans – Kidney, canned
- 1.50 cup, Corn – Yellow
- 1.50 cup, millet – cooked
- 1 stalk celery
- 1.00 cup, chopped, Onions – Raw. I used red and white
- 1.00 Medium, Zucchini
- 1.00 large (2-¼ per lb, approx 3-¾" long, 3" dia), Pepper – raw- I used Green
- 1 tablespoon, garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon Mina Harissa
- dash chili powder- you would think I had enough kick with the harissa. you are wrong
- (One dash), Salt. I used Pink Himalayan
- 1.00 cup, Veggie Broth
- 1.50 cup, Beans – Black, cooked without salt
- Turn stove top on to medium.
- Our veggie broth in and start adding your veggies. I added spices last.
- While adding your veggies cook your millet. Millet takes about 25 minutes to cook so your veggies have a bunch of time to simmer and absorb all the goodness.
- I use the onions as my gauge when the veggies are done. When things are to clear or looking like they lost vibrancy I know I have gone to long.
- Also use your sniffer. It will tell you when things are done.
- Once millet it done throw everything together and consume.